First placed in Singapore: 1972
Singapore River, behind the old Parliament House
Patron: Singapore Tourist Promotion Board (now Singapore Tourism Board)
From the (now defunct) Singapore Knowledge Net Site: “A second Raffles statue, made of polymarble from plaster casts of the first statue, was unveiled in 1972 at the Empress Place spot judged by historians and promoted by the Singapore Tourism Board to be the site where Raffles landed on 28 January 1819.” The first statue is by T Woolner, and stands just a few tens of metres away. The text of this label is quite remarkable, considering it was written in the 1970s.
ENGLISH: On this historic site, Sir Stamford Raffles first landed in Singapore on 28th january 1819 and with genius and perception changed the destiny of Singapore from an obscure fishing village to a great seaport and modern metropolis. [Similar inscriptions in Chinese, Malay and Tamil.]
Last updated: Dec-5-2020